- Marketing and Communications Strategy
- Media Relations
- Social Media Outreach
- Brand Development
- Content Management
- Event Management
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, B.A., Human Services, concentration in Communication, 1995
- Professional Development Fellowship, US Department of State, 2011
- Penn Foster Career School, 2011 – 2012 – Certification, Adobe InDesign Cs5
- George P. Shultz National Foreign Affairs Training Center, Foreign Service Institute, 2010 – 2011
- South Carolina Senate – Governmental and Constituent Relations, 2012 – 2014
- US Department of State, US Consulate Montreal – Community Liaison, 2010 – 2012
- Joan Day Weddings, LLC – Event Management and Consulting, 2007
- Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd – Governmental Relations, 2001 – 2002
- Member, Leadership SC Alumni Association
- Graduate, Leadership SC Class of 2016
- Member, Executive Committee, Women in Philanthropy, 2016
- Member, Public Relations Society of America, SC Chapter
- Member, South Carolina Economic Developers’ Association
- Member-at-Large, Magnolia Key Home Owners’ Association
Joan D. Kelley
Joan is a native of Laurens, South Carolina. She was raised in Mooresville, North Carolina. She graduated from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte in 1995. Joan has more than two decades in the public relations, marketing, and event planning field. Her established track-record includes event successes and strategic communications for individuals, non-profit organizations, professional firms, and governmental bodies. While her roots are well-established in The Carolina’s, Joan also worked in the Washington, D.C. area for seven years. During this time, she established her own event planning and consulting business. Joan worked with clients to plan large-scale events and create unique promotional communications.
In 2009, Joan moved to Montreal, Quebec, for a three-year Diplomatic assignment, during which time she coordinated events for the U.S. Consul General of Montreal and supported visits from the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, as well as visits from The U.S. President’s Cabinet Members. She savored the entire experience—French culture, diverse population, cuisine and fashion—and made the most of city-living. In 2012, she returned to South Carolina and shortly thereafter, Joan was appointed to a position in the S.C. Senate working for two state senators handling the senators’ legislative, administrative, and constituent affairs. Joan’s time in the Senate offices provided her further experience in governmental relations and a broad understanding of local governance, policy-making and the state budget process.
Joan utilizes her entrepreneurial spirit at SC Power Team as Marketing and Communications Director. In this role, she created a new marketing department from the ground-up. Marketing efforts included a new logo/corporate brand and state-of-the-art website. Joan leads the organization’s social media content and media relations outreach, and steers the communications strategies supporting the organization’s five-year strategic blueprint.
Joan lives in Chapin, SC, with her two children. During the summer, Joan and her children enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, and boating on Lake Murray. Joan is an active member of the Executive Committee for Women in Philanthropy (WIP); an affiliate group of the United Way of the Midlands. She has served on the WIP Events Committee in leadership positions since 2016, planning WIP’s signature fundraiser, Power of the Purse. The organization focuses its fundraising efforts towards grant recipients which benefit women and children in need living in the Midlands area.
Things other people say about Joan …
Joan brings a touch of class to everything she does.
Her passion is …
family, creativity, ballet and event planning.
My most precious time is spent …
with my kids, and our family’s dachshund, Bentley.
Interesting facts …
Joan has met three U.S. Presidents.
Who Joan was back then …
a varsity cheerleader for the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.